Friday, October 3, 2008

Week 4, in words

The highlights of my workweek thus far have been self-defense training on Monday, a pediatric dental symposium Thursday, an academic talk on aut mechanics Wednesday, and actually trying potato knish. Secondary activities included cheering on the Phillies during their playoff games, more phone calls, and watching the VP debate last night. I didn't fall on top of anyone on the bus (like last week), nor did I receive any particularly interesting catcalls. I only went on a few home visits, due to my supervisor being on vacation for half of the week and my being out of the office Monday and Thursday. As I write this, it's Friday afternoon and I have very little left to accomplish. I'll be coming in to work tomorrow morning (9AM) to get trained for the Sex After Marriage program. Apparently, they especially want my teaching skills for the lessons involving reproductive anatomy. My college coursework speaks for itself.

It's getting colder here and fall is in the air. I'm excited for the leaves to change and the addition of scarves and blazers to my wardrobe, but have already had to deal with seasonal allergies. So after taking some Claritin-D last Friday, I was really feeling my Golden Monkey at Happy Hour. Then again, it's 9.5% alcohol. Victory Brewing Co. isn't too far from here, so I may add it to my list of brewpubs to visit. I'm sure my Dad wholeheartedly encourages this effort. Our group's Social Committee has been doing a great job of planning fun stuff around the city, particularly on Friday evenings. I'm on the Professional Development committee, which sounds important but apparently serves little purpose. Also on the topic of season changes, I need to get a space heater ASAP because it's house policy to avoid turning on the gas heat for as long as possible. Of course, I'm one of those people who feels cold at temperatures under 70 degrees, so this October weather is already doing me in.

This is not supposed to be a food blog, but rather one chronicling my experience moving to and living in Philadelphia. Along with that, however, comes trying Philly-specific foods. Expect updates on this front starting now. I will spare you the tales of shrimp-flavored ramen and PB&J on English muffins.

I had my first Philly cheesesteak (with provolone, without onions & peppers) back in August but wasn't too impressed. Apparently I simply must try the peppers & onions and get Cheez Whiz. Although there are the main three cheesesteak places in their hot competition with each other (Pat's, Geno's, Jim's), there are plenty of others. I will have to try this again.

As for TastyKakes, I've been trying new ones from the nearby Wawa every so often (well, weekly). My favorites are the Cream Filled Koffee Kake Cupcakes, the Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes, and the Oatmeal Raisin Snak Bars (my attempt to feel healthier). The AmeriCorps person in my position last year (another Southern tall blonde) got to attend a health fair at the TastyKake factory, and received her just desserts. This event may become the pinnacle of my year. I'm imagining the factory as straight up Willy Wonka, complete with chocolate river and waterfall. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: