Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Red October

I've started getting cash back more often at the grocery store, so the problem from my last entry is solved.... until I'm a dollar short for that takeout vendor meal and there are no benevolent strangers around.

I received a handwritten (in Sharpie) notice under my car's windshield wipers last week, informing me that cars must be moved every 72 hours. Except that it said "ever 72 hours" and had a decorative squiggle underneath this stern warning. Granted, I parked on the next street over and left my car there for a few days because I have a TransPass and don't mind taking the bus. I think my out-of-state plates are what earned me this warning, because I can find no record in the Philadelphia Parking Authority that says cars must be moved every 72 hours. Especially for residential streets without any parking restriction signs or neighborhood parking passes. If you find any record of such a policy, let me know. I'd rather not have my car towed because somebody with grammatical errors and teenager's handwriting doesn't want to see it there anymore.

In other news, the Phillies are 3-1 in their series against the LA Dodgers and the next game is at home. Things are looking good, though the Red Sox-Tampa Bay series is harder to call. As long as the Phillies make it to the World Series (and hopefully win it), my autumn will be complete. Playoff tickets are costly and hard to come by, so I will be watching it all unfold from the comfort of my living room and possibly a sports bar or two.

Obama came to town on Saturday, but I missed all of his public appearances. Palin came to drop the puck at the Flyers game and got booed. Life in a swing state is interesting.

Finally, I am struggling to explain the recent explosion of Canadian tuxedos around this city but am pretty sure we can chalk it up to the fall weather. It's too warm for a coat but too cold for just your t-shirt and jeans. Better top it off with a jean jacket!

I was a Top Yelper this week on yelp.com (for my 3 reviews last week, I suppose) and got to see my tiny photo in the email. Hopefully the link works here; I'm near the middle of the page.

No comments: