Tuesday, October 7, 2008

the annoyances of cash

A Brief Rant:
Why the obsession with cash-only facilities, Philadelphia? Harrisonburg only had a few places that wouldn't take my debit card and its VISA logo (the delicious Indian American Cafe and The Little Grill, as well as most vendors at the Farmer's Market) but it seems like a huge entity of restaurants, Reading Terminal Market vendors, and other proprietors won't take cards here. I know it's not extremely convenient and they have to pay some transaction fees, but it seems like they're missing out on business. Then again, judging from the amount of $$ people carry with them around here, I might be the only business they're losing. ATMs are a no-no, since my bank does not exist up here and I refuse to pay transaction fees on both sides. Until I open an account (Citizens Bank? PNC? Bank of America?), I'll need to cash in on (ha, ha) the few opportunities I get to receive cash back during transactions at major places (grocery stores, drugstores, post office). Today I was resigned to returning to my office to have a Cup of Noodles instead of indulging in Saag Paneer downtown. It was good for being cost-conscious, but upsetting since I haven't had Indian food since mid-August. And because my stomach was rumbling. In all seriousness, at least I have nothing to give any potential purse-snatchers and wallet muggers except some business cards and a Sheetz frequent coffee buyer card that will be useless here in the land of Wawa.

Did that count as a diatribe?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah that is kind of weird, because in D.C. all people use are cards and I always carry cash(not always the best idea with all the sketch peoples) haha. Exact opposite,but yeah that is annoying!

Hilary said...

hmm, when I was leaving the GW parking garage last month, it was cash only. I was absolutely shocked (the attendant probably thought I was crazy) and fortunately they took checks. so I guess you're good on DC parking, and getting drinks at bars without starting a tab.