Wednesday, October 29, 2008

things I have learned in the last 1.5 weeks

- Yes, a city's collective mental state can be put on hold by a rain delay. Game 5 (5.5?) of the World Series resumes tonight. I have joined the masses not allowed to discuss possible outcomes (a collective desire not to jinx anything), but I'm still hopeful.
- Nissin Cup Noodles is the work lunch of champions. The styrofoam makes me cringe, but they're cheap and only require a microwave or the hot water function of our water cooler. Plus, miniature shrimp.
- Water cooler jugs are 5 gallons, which is surprisingly difficult to lift. I have done my strength training for the day.
- Middle schoolers are a handful. After I was introduced, one boy shouted out "Hilary Banks!", which was a nice change from the usual Clinton remarks. Also, we were legitimately in West Philadelphia, so it was very geographically appropriate. Then a seventh grade girl told me I looked like Hilary Duff. Hmm.
- After a grease-heavy lackluster coffee cake this morning, I may put myself on a Tastykake moratorium until further notice.
- Loud office chitchat is best avoided by closing the door (if possible), or attempting to concentrate solely on your work. I think bringing in my iPod would be a little unnecessary and rude, but I guess I like working in silence or at least ambient music.
- You can successfully construct a Halloween costume for $15 that will hopefully be a winning combination of witty, cute, and unique. Pictures to come.

I went to Terror Behind the Walls last week, and it was incredible. I guess we went by Al Capone's old cell without my realizing it, but there was a lot of other stuff to see (zombies, cadavers, a 3-D glasses area).

I finally added some new photos from late September - early October to my picasa account. I still need to upload about 125 pictures from my camera and make executive decisions about which ones are facebook and blog appropriate (flowers and harvest festival, yes). But after work today I'm making a quick trip downtown to complete my costume with a single piece of yellow felt.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

You know, here in Japan when it comes to ramen-in-a-cup, you are presented with a wonderful bounty of options.


And yet, somehow, you still feel like you betrayed your inner-gourmet, even if that ramen was special-miso flavored and contained real vegetables.

Hilary said...

my options were limited to "with shrimp" and "chicken flavor", but I think the markets in Chinatown will have more selection than my semi-suburban 'Super Fresh' grocery store.

my inner gourmet eats lunch at her desk these days. :(

Dave Hong said...

The miniature shrimp rock! =P