Saturday, November 22, 2008

last post before thanksgiving

It snowed here this past week, which made me realize that snow is pretty much useless to me now that I'm not a student. My site may be closed on severe weather days since it's university-affiliated, but I'm just going to have to work from home or make up those hours later. If one of the schools I teach at is closed, we'll just have to postpone the lesson for that week and effectively be at their school for one week longer. I don't like driving in snow (sometimes the stereotypes about Southerners are true) or ice, and the bus schedule becomes even more unreliable when there is any kind of precipitation. I actually looked out my window on Friday morning, after oversleeping, and said "eww, gross". It's too early for snow at any rate; that should hold off until mid-December in my mind.

Speaking of schools, the teaching is going pretty well so far. Sure, you get your share of kids who don't want to do the lesson or are still wondering why you're there, but they're middle schoolers. Of course they want to rebel. I'm considering it a triumph when they quietly doodle or draw instead of talking out, and am absolutely stoked when they participate. I still have no plans to enter the field of education, but am pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Education is a pretty tough career I think, oh my especially with middle schoolers! I think I would die haha.